BMW 1800 (Neue Klasse) 1963 - 1971
The BMW 1800 was the second member of the New Class family, introduced in 1963 with a 90 hp (67 kW) 1.8 L engine. An 1800ti (‘touring international’) model featured components developed for the 1800 by the tuning company Alpina. The upgrades included dual Solex PHH side-draft carburetors and higher-compression pistons for 110 hp (82 kW). A racing 1800Ti/SA was introduced in 1964 with dual Weber DCOE-45 carburetors (along with various engine modifications) with 130 hp (97 kW). 200 examples of the Ti/SA were built.
An automatic transmission option was introduced in 1966 and in 1967 the 1800 was generally updated along with the 2000. The updates included interior changes (a modernized dashboard design and simpler door panels) as well as styling changes to the front grilles.